How to Throw an End of School Color Party
A colorful way for parents to start summer vacation
It’s one of the most anticipated days of the entire year: the last day of school! There’s no better way to celebrate your student that’s as unique, fun, and of course, colorful as a color party!
Throwing a “Last Day of School” color powder party is a great way to get kids excited and ready for summer vacation. While many parents opt for water fights or dance parties, color parties are a special way to create a colorful and lasting memory–especially if you have a lot of people joining!
Color parties can be as simple as hosting a “Color War” where everyone throws color powder at each other like a water fight, or they can consist of field games with teams, instructions, and goals. You can even do a combination of both, which might be fun for tweens and teens! Color parties are easily adjustable for any age, so you can even have a variety of ages attending your color party, and everyone will have a blast. As you begin planning your School’s Out party, here are three things to keep in mind:
While an exact RSVP may be difficult, it’s a good idea to get at least a rough estimate of how many people are planning to attend your party. This will help you know how much color powder you’ll need. We recommend at least .75 -1 lb of color powder per person for a color fight.
Now that you know you’re going to throw a color powder party, it’s time to plan exactly what that’s going to look like. Are you going to have a color throw, colorful dance party, or color war? Maybe you’re hosting half the track team at your house, and you want to throw a last “hoorah” with a neighborhood color 5K run? There are many different options to choose from with color powder, so deciding what your after-school party is going to look like will help you know exactly what you’re going to need.
You can’t go wrong when it comes to all of Chameleon Colors' color powder, but there are a few products that go exceptionally great with color parties:
- Chameleon Colors Color Balls are like throwable paintballs for kids. They don’t hurt, but they leave a colorful mark when you throw them and they hit their target. These colored chalk balls are perfect for team games and color wars alike!
- If you have a smaller group (4-10 people), the Chameleon Colors Holi Party Box is an all-in-one color party in a box! This box comes with a little bit of everything. You’ll get 24 color packets, 4 bright liquid colors, 4 easy-fill squirt guns, and 4 refillable color balls.
- Throwing a night-time party? These UV color powder packets are hard to beat! They glow in blacklight, so you can crank up the tunes, turn on the black lights, and get ready to glow!
- If you’re hosting a large party, you may want to consider Chameleon Colors’ bulk options as the most cost-effective way to host a color party. We have a range of sizes including 15 pounds, 25 pounds, 30 pounds, and even 50 pounds of color!
- If you’re wanting to keep things simple, a fun color throw may be the best way to start summer vacation. We have color powder Rainbow Packs with seven colors. There are two sizes available: The 70g (individual sized) Rainbow Pack that’s perfect for 3-5 people, or the 1 lb Rainbow Pack that’s best for 7-10 people. Tell everyone to throw the powder in the air at the count of three, and then make sure to have your camera ready to capture the moment!
Other tips for color parties:
Order color powder supplies in advance
It’s easy to lose track of time at the end of the school year, so make sure to order your color powder at least 7-10 business days in advance of your party. The powder will probably arrive sooner, but shipping times can vary, and this will help alleviate any stress you might be feeling as you're preparing for the end of the school year.
Have sunglasses available for participants
Color powder can be messy–especially during a color war. We always caution that color war participants should never throw the chalk powder in peoples’ faces. Sunglasses help any powders from irritating the eyes. Note: All of our color powders are made in the United States, are non-toxic, are eco-friendly, and contain only FD&C and D&C-approved ingredients.
If you’re going to get colorful, it’s always fun to start with a blank canvas! We’ve found that white t-shirts are a fun way to make the colors stand out. If you plan on taking pictures or videos, consider using white t-shirts for more vibrant colors.
Cleanup is Easy
We recommend only using Chameleon Colors color powders outdoors. For color powder remaining on grass after your party, the powder should disappear with water (such as water from sprinklers, hose, or a rainstorm). Our powder is eco-friendly and will not harm the environment. Any color on sidewalks or pavement should be blown away (a leaf blower would work great) or brushed away first. Then, any remaining powder can be washed away with a hose or power washer. For hair and skin, the easiest way to get the color powder off is while it’s still dry. So, shake, wiggle, jump up and down, and brush it off the best you can. After that, use soap and water for the skin and shampoo for the hair.